Monday, December 12, 2005

The fine art of reading and writing


Sometimes, I read books or magazines that I half understand the concept being described or talked about.
My solution to this challenge is one of patience. I try to key in into the meaning by breaking apart the words used to describe this concept. I follow closely. I hold my concentration as much as I can because it is so easy to wander along more familiar paths and away from the less familiar ones that are brutally tasking in concentration.
It is almost impossible to not drift a little every now and then. At that point, a good memory comes in as a handy tool that gives you the ability to pick up from where you left off.
The key to effective reading is being able to decipher what the multitude of text is speaking of.
If I recall right, a paragraph should hold one central idea. Search for it. A great technique to locating this idea is to linger a little on the Heading, if any exist, which it should. Then ponder on the words.
I once wrote a poem that humorously talked about my violent inclinations. I didn’t build a narrative on it, just many instances of those tendencies. My readers were unable to see or hear the humor that I intended because they obviously spared no time on the title. So the effect was lost on them and I ended up laughing alone.
The title was the key. They didn’t use it; consequently, they were locked out.
In reading or writing, we must keep our eyes out for the foundation. Writing must be built on or around something known as the theme.
I try not to use my mind as a storage device when I read. The more the weight on the mind, the slower it runs. For flexibility and speed, latch on the theme.
Speed is good, probably not as important as most people think. Some rush through the text. I don’t recommend this except maybe for newspapers and magazines.
Rushing through a book is like rushing up a nice meal, just to satisfy hunger!
No tasting, just swallow swallow. That could cause a problem with digestion.
I love to eat a nice meal by chewing and tasting it, till I have a memory of it. That memory, if pleasant, could make me want more.
Sometimes, I eat not only to satisfy hunger but for pleasure.
Students, so called, have a mentality of reading or studying for the sole reason of getting good grades.
Reading can be a very pleasurable experience. To reduce it to merely an act of survival or luxury is to be short sighted.
Reading is both powerful and beautiful. The Bible encourages us to give attention to reading and also to study, to show ourselves APPROVED.
Reading serves as a catalyst for thought. In other words, it is thought provoking. It opens our eyes to the beauty that stares us in the face daily yet one that we are so unaware of.
Many times you read a book telling you about what you know already but in a different light. You may first get the surprise feeling that someone else has had that experience too.
Words can be manipulated in such a way that the mundane becomes subliminal.
A reader develops and never loses his sense of awe and ability to marvel. He has a more heightened sensitivity to happenings in and around him. His mind never sleeps but stays awake and active.
With all the harsh realities that life throws at us, what better way to cushion it’s effect than to escape into more benign worlds, on the wings of our imagination. Upon return, we get charged and ready to face the world with the weapons of optimism and enthusiasm.
Writing is closely related to reading. You write because you have read.
A written material is the product of processed ideas. It causes you think, to look at many things and see a pattern and then using those similarities to paint a picture.
For instance, as I write, my pen is racing along the imaginary tracks to a goal. That evokes an athletic picture.
If you do this cleverly enough, the next time your reader writes, he imagines he is an athlete on the racetracks of his paper.
Writing is both creative and innovative. When you write, you make yourself a channel for inspiration and ideas. These flows to your readers and they are moved. A good writing will shatter a dull moment.
Like in conception and delivery, the mother to be becomes very beautiful and glows during pregnancy. Upon delivery, there is a sense of accomplishment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

designed by finalsense.com